Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Best Chocolate Peanut Butter Oats

Sometimes I forget about oats!

 I didn't grow up eating them as my Dad despised them. He ate them for breakfast everyday while he was growing up and vowed never to touch them again. I wonder how my grandmother made them? I bet if she made it everyday she had a few different recipes?! I hope! I think of Bubba from Forrest Gump with his list of shrimp dishes. My grandmother would follow suit..." cinnamon oats, buttered oats, brown sugar oats..... chocolate peanut butter oats.



Well, I think if she made this, my Dad would have requested it everyday! Chocolate peanut butter oats feel sinful but can be actually quite healthy! A serving weighs in at 402 calories! Plus, you wont be feeling hungry for a long while. You could also split this recipe into fourths to reduce calories.

Anyway, the recipe will be added to the bottom of this post and I hope you enjoy! Especially if your morning looks a lot like this one:



To me, the best part is when the kiss melts into the oats and pockets of velvety chocolate give the oats another level of richness and "sin".



Chocolate Peanut Butter Oats

Serves 2, 402 calories of deliciousness

1.5 Cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 Cup almond milk
1 Cup water
2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
5 Hershey special dark Kisses, divided
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa power
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of salt

In small saucepan mix together the oats, milk, water, peanut butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt and 3 of the kisses.

Stirring constantly, simmer until the mixture thickens, about five minutes. Turn the heat off and add the vanilla.

Once dished up, add a chocolate kiss to each bowl. Allow the hot oats to semi-melt the kiss and enjoy!

What's your favorite flavors to add to oats?

No comments: