Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Vegetarian Chili Sweet Potatoes

This week, Marc and I decided to make one week of meals ahead of time so we would be better prepared for our busy work schedules. It was a spur of the moment decision we came up with over dinner out and wrote our grocery list and meals as we ate dessert.

I thought I'd split up this post into a couple separate posts. That way I can include recipes in case you wish to make this at home.

This first recipe is chili topped sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are topped with extremely sharp cheddar and covered in vegetable black bean chili. I like this style of a make ahead meal because it's satisfying, easy to freeze and no fuss.




Vegetarian Chili Sweet Potatoes
1-2 sweet potatoes per person, depending on size and appetite (I used 5)
16 OZ prepared black bean vegetable chili, I use Pacific Soups
8 OZ Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Plain Greek Yogurt
Salsa

Bake pierced sweet potatoes at 350 for 45 minutes, or until very soft. Slice and fill each with chili. Top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and soup is warmed through, about 15 minutes. Top with garnishes as you wish. I like hot salsa and Greek yogurt.

To make ahead, I cooked as directed above but just didn't do the second heat through to melt cheese and warm the soup. On the day served I reheated it about 30 minutes of 350 to reheat.

My one change next time would to put something crunchy on top for a textural change as this was all pretty soft in texture.

I hope you enjoy!

xoxo

No comments: